The New Scottish Lobbying Act: Enforcement is coming
Tue 15th May 2018
OVERVIEW View Conference Agenda
Scotland’s new Lobbying Register will come into force on the 12th March 2018. From this date all regulated lobbying in Scotland, as defined in the Lobbying (Scotland) Act, must be registered on Scotland's new Lobbying Register. This conference explains the Lobbying Act, examines what can be learned from the first months of its operation and helps you prepare to be compliant before, during and after talking to any of Scotland's elected members or officials covered by the new law.
The Act means that organisations and individuals covered by the Act which have discussions about any of a range of Scottish Government or parliamentary activities with a Member of the Scottish Parliament, a Scottish Government Minister, a Scottish Government Special Adviser or the Permanent Secretary will be covered by the legislation. This includes circumstances when individuals working for such organisations may meet elected members or officials informally or unexpectedly.
Do you know what activities are covered by the Act and what you will need to do to become and remain compliant with it? This conference is timed to take place in the weeks following the date on which the Lobbying Register comes into force, focusing on early experiences and lessons being learned in complying with the Act and Register.
The conference will explain:
- What we can learn from the first weeks of the Lobbying Register being in force
- What activities are covered by the Lobbying Act
- How organisations and individuals are included in the Act and in what circumstances
- What registration is required and what information returns need to be undertaken to remain compliant
- Which communications are exempt from the law
- The new offences and fines created under the Act
- Who needs to be aware of activities which count as lobbying under the Act - both organisations and individuals within them
KEYNOTE SPEAKER View All Speakers
Lobbying Registrar, The Scottish Parliament
Partner, Morton Fraser
Convenor, ASPA (Association for Scottish Public Affairs) and Deputy Director, Chartered Institute of Housing Scotland
Director, Message Matters
Policy and Public Affairs Manager - Scotland, Marie Curie
Keep Up To Date
Not ready to book but want to stay up to date with announcements about this conference
Are you interested in conferences like these? Sign Up to get emails when we add a new conference.
This was an excellent event - speakers were well informed and each brought something different.