ONLINE CONFERENCE Tackling poverty and attainment in Scotland: The challenge beyond pandemic
09:25 Chair's opening remarks
Session 1: Understanding the strategic challenge we face
09:30 Closing the attainment gap - what is needed?
- What does the attainment gap now look like?
- Promoting best practice
- Beyond schools – understanding what it takes
09:50 Poverty and attainment - what does effective prevention look like?
- Why is there an attainment gap and where does it start?
- Early intervention - tackling the gap before school
- Supporting families and what works
10:10 Question and answer session
10:25 Comfort break
Session 2: The picture on the ground
10:40 Cost of the school day - understanding it and tackling it
Sara Spencer, Cost of the School Day Project Manager, CPAG in Scotland
- The relationship between cost, children’s well-being and ability to participate
- How to reduce the educational impact of cost
- Delivering change nationally to end the ‘learning levy’
- Deprivation and its impact – current data
- The picture on poverty before during and after pandemic
- What we are really now facing after the covid year
11:20 Question and answer session
11:35 Comfort break
Session 3: Delivering effective interventions
11:50 Delivering an evidence based intervention
- Developing evidenced based approaches and finding evidence
- It takes a village - building capacity across individuals, families, communities, professionals, partners and council services
- Multi-layered and tailored approaches to delivery
12:10 Keeping those at risk included and in education
- Who is at risk and why?
- What are the key factors in engaging young people likely to be excluded?
- How and why delivering engagement, self-worth, wellbeing and self-awareness support works
12:30 Question and answer session
12:45 Chair's closing remarks
Keep Up To Date
Not ready to book but want to stay up to date with announcements about this conference
Are you interested in conferences like these? Sign Up to get emails when we add a new conference.
This seminar exceeded my expectations.