ONLINE CONFERENCE Care of Older People in Scotland 2021: 8th Annual Conference
Session 1: Care of older people after COVID
09:30 Health and social care strategy for older people
Louise Scott, Team Leader, Older People’s Health, Scottish Government
09:50 After COVID – care of older people
Karen Hedge, National Director, Scottish Care
- Care of older people post-pandemic
- What is needed from all parties to deliver high quality older people care?
- Understanding trends in cost, demand and context for care delivery
10:10 Question and answer session
10:25 Comfort break
Session 2: Empowering older people and valuing care workers
- How do we build a rights based approach into everyday practice?
- Understanding what lived experience tells us
- Care delivery with empowerment in practice
11:00 Care workers and the care of older people – protecting trust, skills and confidence
Jess Alexander, Learning and Development Manager (Leadership and Improvement Learning), SSSC
- The value of workforce development and innovation
- The importance of leadership in care
- Outcomes centred care and the individual’s journey
11:20 Supporting unpaid carers of people living with dementia through individual grants
Key findings from the delivery of an individual grants programme for unpaid carers during the pandemic:
- What were the challenges for unpaid carers as a result of Covid?
- Why did an individual grants approach work?
- What did carers use the funding for?
- What was the impact of individual grants on unpaid carers physical and mental health and social isolation?
11:40 Question and answer session
11:55 Comfort break
Session 3: Frailty and pharmacy – delivering best care
12:10 Frailty in the time of coronavirus
Professor Anne Hendry, Senior Associate, International Foundation for Integrated Care (IFIC), Director, IFIC Scotland; and Deputy Honorary Secretary, British Geriatrics Society
- Lockdown related harms – deconditioning, isolation, increased demand for community support and share a BGS UK perspective on the experience of the healthcare workforce managing frailty
- Mobilising community capacity to support those shielding – the unique contribution of Compassionate Communities as well as other third sector and housing initiatives
- Reimagining proactive anticipatory care for wellbeing in later life
- Enhancing intermediate care to provide realistic urgent community alternatives to acute hospital care
12:30 The role of pharmacy in supporting care excellence
Laura Wilson MRPharmS, Policy & Practice Lead, Royal Pharmaceutical Society in Scotland
- Delivering pharmacy as a core element of holistic care service delivery
- Addressing polypharmacy and improving quality of life
- The best palliative care, reducing falls, enhancing social activity
12:50 Question and answer session
13:05 Chair's closing remarks
Lynda Gauld, Director, Baccus Consulting
Keep Up To Date
Not ready to book but want to stay up to date with announcements about this conference
Are you interested in conferences like these? Sign Up to get emails when we add a new conference.
This was a unique event and subject matter was relevant. All excellent speakers - good mix and good to have several short presentations. Well chaired.